One of the reasons of badly sleep is nightmares. They cause strong negative emotions – from fear to anger, which we experience at night and because of which we wake up. Frequent nightmares have a negative effect on health and reduce concentration during the day. A good dream seen at night is a guarantee of a good mood for the whole day. Of course, we cannot control dreams and order their plot. Even so, we can protect ourselves from nightmares. A serene sleep improves vitality, improves mood and, accordingly, helps weight control.
7 tips to help you have good dreams every night
1. Ventilate the room before bedtime at any season, even if it is 0°F or 80°F outside. A large amount of oxygen enters the room through an open window, that is necessary to ensure the normal functioning of the body and speed up falling asleep. When airing, keep an eye on the temperature, as too cold air interferes with normal sleep. Ventilate the room also in the morning, and then make the bed.
2. Ensure silence in the room where you sleep. Turn off the computer, the ticking clocks and speakers that create noise. Besides, make sure that all light sources are turned off. At night, light increases cortisol levels, so it becomes more difficult for a person to fall asleep. A high level of “stress hormone” reduces the body’s resistance to inflammation and insulin sensitivity. As a result, appetite and sleep are disturbed. Darkness stimulates the production of the hormone melatonin, which helps us fall asleep easier and sleep longer.
3. Do exercises for at least half an hour a day. But note that this activity should be done a few hours before bedtime. Do some squats, knead muscles, dance, and take a walk.
4. Forget about a high-calorie dinner. Also, the last meal should be at least 4 hours before bedtime. If you feel hungry before going to bed, it is best to drink herbal tea. Keep low-calorie foods and vegetables prominently in the refrigerator. This will help you avoid high-calorie meals before bed.
5. Take a warm bath with foam or essential oil. The relaxing scents of ylang-ylang, sandalwood or lavender are ideal. Turn on relaxing music, and do not think about work, plans for tomorrow, or what to wear in the morning.
6. Do not forget about the daily routine. Rule one – need to go to bed not on the day you need to get up. The second rule – you must try to fall asleep and wake up at in one and time. The best time to sleep is from 10 pm to 6 am. You can change this time depending on your lifestyle within 1-2 hours. Go to bed 3-4 hours after sunset, this is the best time.
7. Refrain from watching television at bedtime, reading bad news, and watching psychological films. Conversation about something pleasant with family or friends, watching a magazine, listening to relaxing music will be more useful for sleep. Set yourself up for a good day and positive emotions. Learn not to think about anything, and free your consciousness from everything. Think about some positive points. For example, think about relaxing at sea during a summer trip. Such memories will set you up for pleasant thoughts and dreams.